Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Music Event: Hunnypot

Just a week ago I went to The Ment on Pico Blvd for a night of musical entertainment. An acquaintance of mine, Lydia Rene, was performing, so I wanted to go support her. Celeste Stoney was also performing that night, and I became a supporter of hers a couple of months back when I saw her perform at Sadie’s Kitchen and Lounge. I have had The Mint on my list of music venues to visit for a while now, and this was the perfect opportunity to check the place out.

The name of the event every other Monday is Hunnypot, and it is coordinated by John Anderson. The night consists of various talent, from Rock to Soul. Once inside, there’s a bar to the right, and to the left there is a seating area with a two drink minimum. To the left of the stage there was a screen in the corner playing old black and white films, which I thought was very unique. The space was pretty nice size, and most people stood.

I witnessed Magnolia Memoir perform, and they were pretty good. They are a rock band, and the singer had a nice high tone. They had a cellist in their band, which I thought was super neat! Cellos are typically played in orchestras. The cellist was jamming, and he played in a really cool position with one leg up in the air. I enjoyed this bands sound, and the singing for the most part. 
 

After watching another rock band perform, who happened to be very talented, Lydia Rene graced the stage. Her band had a great blend, and her voice was soulful. She performed songs off of her upcoming EP, and a cover song of one of her favs. Truly owning her alto range, she sat at her keyboard and poured out each song with purpose. I appreciate her musicality and ability to play so comfortably on the keys, while simultaneously sharing her songs through voice. I especially liked her melismas. I look forward to seeing her perform again.

No comments:

Post a Comment