Tuesday, December 2, 2014

My First Studio Experience

Last week I had a pretty awesome experience of recording my first songs for this upcoming project. Not only was it another step closer to embarking on this master music plan I have, but it was also my first time recording solo in a legit recording studio. The facility was beyond amazing! I truly knew it was the one months ago, when I was shopping around for the perfect creative environment. Es Audio Recording Studios was the first on my list to meet with. 

When I walked in, there was a nice lobby with comfy couches to the right, and a desk to the left. The walls were decked out with art, music plaques, and more. There was a door that led in to the hallway, and the vibe I felt when i walked through was unexplainable. As I passed an office, production room, booth, and control rooms, I started to get extremely excited! Once past the front rooms, there was another small lobby with a comfy couch, snacks, and water! I was pretty sold when they told me they had complementary chocolate bars. LOL. The restroom facility was homey and clean! They had two studios, Studio A and Studio B, and I am just one person, so of course I was looking to record in the smaller studio, Studio B. However, I got to peek in to the large Studio A space during one of their sessions. 

Once I walked in Studio B, I was in L.O.V.E. There were candles lit, the lights were dim, the room was clean, and the vibe was perfect! The fact that they had a very cozy insulated booth boosted my eagerness to work with them. I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for, but I knew that the feeling I had meant I was in the right place. After discussing and listening to their previous work, I put them on a very high pedestal. No studio I visited after that amounted to much. So I made my choice!

On the day of my session I rested, and prepared. I had most beats ready, so I put them on my USB, packed my lap top and water, and drank my throat tea. Once I got there I set up in the booth. I took off dangling jewelry, set the mood by dimming the lights a little, and pulled up my pre-recorded songs on Garage Band, so I could reference certain harmonies and ad libs I have already discovered I wanted to use. I like being prepared, because I am not one to waste time. Fortunately, my creativity wasn't limited to the pre-recording, because I am very open to changes, and adding whatever is need to make the song complete. I had so much fun coming up with ad libs and harmonies to these songs I have been rehearsing for months! My session lasted a little over four hours, and I felt fatigued after recording two full songs. It was definitely hard work, but super enjoyable! I even sat through the mixing process, and I was surprised at how involved I was with effects and sounds. I am looking forward to my next session! 








No comments:

Post a Comment